Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Introduction

Welcome to The New Rocket Engineer Blog! To start off, I feel it would be good to give a background of who I am and what I do. I am currently a master's student in mechanical engineering. My area of focus is in fluid dynamics, but I have also studied composite structures; both great fields to help with rocket engineering!

My first experience in high power rocketry (HPR) came last year as a member of a rocket team for a college rocket competition. None of us on the team (4 of us) had any HPR experience, but we got a rocket put together and a motor ordered. We went down to the competition, launched the rocket, then watched it come back down in a fiery heap. However, the initial take-off had left an impression on me. The ground shaking, ear-splitting power of the L800 we launched with blew me away. After that, I knew I wanted to get into high power rocketry myself.

After coming home from the competition, I ordered myself a HPR kit, the Liberty 3 from Giant Leap Rocketry, put it together, then signed myself up for Hellfire XVII out on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I joined Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRO), ordered an I170 motor for my Level 1 certification flight, and successfully completed my certification.


At this time, I am again participating on the college rocket team as lead of the payload team. As we progress with our payload design and manufacture, I will post updates to this blog. I am also preparing for my TRO Level 2 certification flight this coming saturday. My original rocket (dubbed The Blue Dart) now has an added payload bay designed to carry an altimeter. I will also do a post on the design and manufacture of the payload bay. Anyway, to conclude this post, I will provide images of my current rockets. I hope that this blog can become a place where many rocket engineers can learn and share different rocketry techniques and skills, as well as fun projects. That's all I have for today!





Name: Sky Lofter (Estes)
Length: 22"
Motors flown: B6-6

















Name: Blue Dart (modified Giant Leap Rocketry "Liberty 3")
Length: 62"
Motors flow: I170





No comments:

Post a Comment